Guided by Chaminade’s mission to cultivate the inherent gifts, skills, and talents of young men in Grades 6 through 12, so that they are prepared for success in college and life, the Academic Support Program’s goal is to assist students of all ability levels in reaching their full academic potential.
The Esto Vir Academic Resource Center, located on the lower level of Frische Hall, will house the Academic Support Program, and be a place for students to seek out the resources that they need to be successful at Chaminade. The Academic Support Program is comprised of several new initiatives, and many longstanding resources, for students to take advantage of throughout the school year. Please click here to see the Academic Resource and Instructional Support list for the 2016 - 2017 academic year.
Academic Lab -
All students will be assigned an Academic Lab as part of their schedule (full year in the High School and Sixth Grade, one semester in Seventh and Eighth Grades). During Academic Lab students will have the opportunity to complete online assignments for their courses, get caught up on homework, seek assistance from available Math and English teachers, make-up assessments missed from absences, meet with their counselor and seek out academic assistance. There will also be the opportunity to learn and practice effective study habits and test preparation skills.
Blume Scholar Program
– Blume Scholars are identified through the Chaminade high school admissions process. These students will participate in a three week summer course that will prepare them to start their CCP journey off on the right foot. Blume Scholars will benefit from a guided Academic Lab throughout the school year that will support their efforts in the classroom. This is a three year program. However, students who demonstrate the ability to successfully navigate CCP without this support can move on from the program at the end of an academic year.
– The Flyers Program is designed for students who are in academic distress at each of the grading periods. After each grading period, the administration will inform qualified students of their enrollment in the Flyers Program. During a student’s regular Academic Lab they will report to the Esto Vir Academic Resource Center, where they will develop an academic recovery plan and receive instruction on study and organization skills. The Flyers Program will last for the duration of the following grading period.
After School Academic Program (ASAP)
- A variety of after school programs are available to students on a voluntary basis, but may be strongly recommended by a student’s teacher or counselor. Most programs take place Monday – Thursday from 3:00 – 4:00, however some resources are available before school, and later into the evenings.
Learning Consultants- Two full time Learning Consultants are available during Academic Labs, Esto Vir Periods, and after school. They are also are available before school by appointment.
ACT Classes- A three week preparation course after school for Chaminade students. Please contact Mr. Vince Viviano
– Students receive content support from Chaminade faculty in the areas of English, math, and language.
Math Labs- A Chaminade Math teacher is available during Academic Labs to assist students and answer questions.
Writing Lab- Students can bring in their written work for editing. By appointment only. Please Contact Dr. Dan Karcher.
Study Skills Support
– Students receive study skills support from Chaminade counselors and learning consultants.
Service Tutoring Program
– Students receive group tutoring from trained, qualified upperclassmen in all subject areas.
Honor Society Tutoring
– Students receive tutoring from a member of Chaminade’s various honor societies including; National Honor Society, math, Spanish, and French.
STAR (Students Taking Academic Responsibility)
– Middle School students are provided with a consistent study space, and can receive some tutoring/homework guidance from Chaminade faculty.
RAMS (Responsibility and Management Skills)
– Middle School students, who are recommended by their teachers, receive study skills and organization support through a six session program taught by Middle School counselors and learning consultants.
– Students may make-up tests and quizzes outside of class time in order to remain current with classroom instruction and assessments.
– Students may take advantage of the quiet study space and numerous educational resources in the Chaminade Library.
Please encourage your son to visit the Esto Vir Academic Resource Center and utilize the aforementioned resources throughout the school year.