Chaminade College Preparatory School, an independent, Catholic school is dedicated to developing the inherent spiritual, intellectual, emotional, and physical potential of young men in middle and high school. We hire dedicated people who are passionate about student learning and working in a collaborative environment.
Chaminade College Preparatory School
Seeks To Recruit Well-Qualified, Experienced And Enthusiastic Teachers In The Following Areas:
Math, Science, History, And English As A Foreign Language
At Chaminade’s Partnership Program In Shenzhen, China
- Job Location: Shenzhen, China
- Speaking Mandarin is not required
- Language: Native English Speaker
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or Higher
- Working Experience: Teachers with two or more years of teaching experience
- Workload: Around 25 classroom hours per week
- Courses: English as a foreign language/Math/Science/History
- Monthly Pay: Competitive based on experience. Bonus equal to two additional months’ salary for each teaching contract period
- Insurance: Medical coverage provided
- Boarding: Apartment provided. Campus meals included.
- Apartment Amenities: Refrigerator, Air conditioning, Internet, Furniture (Utilities included)
- Airfare: One round-trip international airfare (to and from China) for each 11-month teaching contract period
- Time of Contract: 11-month, renewable
- Available Date Expected: August 2018
- Highlights: Motivated students, modest class size (under 20 students), guidance from experienced staff, opportunities to develop core competencies in leadership, cross-cultural understanding, innovation, all in a peaceful campus that resembles an American liberal arts college, in the heart of one of the most vibrant city in the world
Interested candidates may submit a resume and cover letter to Ms. Karen Carroll at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
Chaminade College Preparatory School, a blue ribbon school, has been dedicated to developing the inherent spiritual, intellectual, emotional, and physical potential of students so they are prepared for success in college and life and ultimately the world needs them to be, since 1910.
Chaminade partners in an international program in Shenzhen, China to offer students from different countries opportunities to learn and build a community together. The international program is designed to take advantage of the strengths of both Chinese and American high school education, to absorb the essentialities of both Chinese and American cultures, and to integrate the advanced components of Chinese and American educational systems through the development of a comprehensive global curriculum.
Who Are We Looking For?
The school is looking for experienced teachers who will come to work in Shenzhen and join enthusiastically in supporting the development of our global curriculum by offering excellent teaching.
The position will suit someone who has some experience teaching those whose native language is not English. It also offers the chance to join the Program in its early stages and to be part of the team that establishes it and makes it successful. The school is expanding rapidly and at the same time we want to increase the number of subjects we offer to the students.
Applications are especially welcomed from candidates who are able to teach English as well as other subjects.
The Work Environment
The salary and benefits offered by the school is significantly more than is needed to live comfortably in Shenzhen.
Contracts are for 11 months and are renewable by mutual consent. At the end of each contract period a gratuity equivalent to two months’ salary is payable, subject to satisfactory appraisal.
The school provides bilingual assistance to help with the obtaining of a work permit and residential visa, opening a local bank account and other administrative requirements. The people at the school are very friendly and welcoming, and occasional social events and trips are planned for the visiting staff.
The students are hard working, respectful and well behaved. The biggest challenge is to get them to think and work independently, since the teaching methods used in the International Program are different from those that students have been used to in their Chinese education.
Why Should Someone Teach English in Shenzhen?
Teaching in Shenzhen is a great way to earn a living and gain access to one of the most transformed (and still transforming) cities China has to offer.
Conveniently located just across the border from Hong Kong, the city of Shenzhen is a great place to start your discovery of China. Described as the window of China’s opening up policy, Shenzhen was recently judged the most livable and third most beautiful city in China.
With a warm, pleasant climate, an eclectic mix of people from around China and the world, Shenzhen has developed into a city with dynamic energy. Shenzhen boasts a varied cuisine, a lively nightlife, exciting art scene and easily accessible beaches, so it’s no wonder teaching English in Shenzhen has become such a popular choice.
No Need to Learn Mandarin. Enough of the native population of Shenzhen speaks English so that you won’t have to learn Mandarin to get around. This has made living here even easier than before! However, you can certainly learn the native tongue if you desire, and there will be plenty of opportunity for you to learn!
Ideal applicants for any position will fulfill the following:
- Applicant possesses both a BA and MA in content or related area.
- Applicant possesses Missouri State Certification.
- Applicant recognizes the importance of student faith development as a priority in a Catholic, Marianist school.
- Applicant is an innovative and qualified teaching professional.
- Applicant is a hardworking and enthusiastic teaching professional with excellent subject knowledge and a sound understanding of grade level curriculum.
- Applicant exhibits involvement in teaching students and assisting in the encouragement of extra-curricular activities.
- Applicant motivates with a keen interest in encouraging and inspiring students to love learning and excel in the subject area.
- Applicant demonstrates methods that support the physical, social, cognitive, and emotional development of students.
- Applicant creates appropriate instruction adaptation for learners of different abilities.
- Applicant understands individual group behaviors and motivations as to create a safe learning environment.
- Applicant creates learning environments that encourage positive social interaction and self-motivation.
- Applicant designs and delivers appropriate and regular student assessments.